02 July 2012

Little things for pet owners

Just a couple thoughts today on little things pet owners can do to save some money:

1. Pet insurance.

When my dog, Milton, came into my life a few years ago, he was scared but healthy. Not being a believer in the insurance industry in general, I passed on the offer of pet insurance. About 6 months later Milton was limping and crying, and it turned out he had a congenital defect that was causing hairline fractures in the head of his left femur. His bone was literally disintegrating day by day. Very painful. The surgery alone cost two thousand dollars. Add to that his regular check-ups, flea meds, heartworm meds, and a host of other things I won't go into here, and he's the most expensive little "free" dog ever. But this was my lesson: no pet is ever actually "free," even if you don't have to pay an adoption fee. Oh, how I'd wish I'd bought pet insurance when I had the chance! 20-20 hindsight, and all that.

It's true; there are a variety of opinions about whether or not pet insurance is worth it. So don't just take my word for it. Do some research to find out what's right for you. Here's an article against, one that's on the fence, and one (written by a veterinarian) that's for.

2. Poop bag alternatives. 

For the dog owners among us, poop bags can be incredibly expensive. Where I shop, 120 bags, about a 2-month supply, costs $13. A few months ago my dad offered to start saving his newspaper bags for me. Brilliant! If you don't get the newspaper, see if a relative or neighbor does and is willing to save the bags for you. Bread bags also work. Plastic grocery bags are not recommended, as they tend to have little holes in them. Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment