15 December 2011

Intentional Eating

I totally get it. I love take out too. Last minute dinner decisions like Vietnamese and Chinese food or a deliciously warm and comforting sandwich from the Jewish deli across the street are one of the many joys to my single life. Moreover, I luxuriate in the idea of a cozy booth, a warm fireplace, veggie burgers and Ruebens, the smell of a wood fire grill, and conversation as rich and delicious as the meal itself. In fact, in the middle of a Minnesota December, there's nothing I crave more. But, with limited funds and competing financial priorities, I needed to find a way to resist these types of temptations.

I learned a long time ago that denying myself joyful experiences leaves me feeling lonely, left out, and anxious – as if life is passing me by. I have this recurring anxious feeling that I should be doing more, doing it better, and maximizing all of my experiences on this planet, which directly conflicts with my financial need to resist dining out experiences.

That’s where menu planning comes into play. It’s a fantastic way to trick the psyche, save money, eat healthier, and feel really good about the times you let someone else do the cooking. It could just as easily be called intentional eating because you’re going into every meal with clear intentions, whether it’s to truly enjoy that cozy booth at Sweeney’s Bar and Grill or to feel really good about the healthy meal you’ve prepared for yourself at home, which ultimately leads to saving you beaucoup bucks.

Menu planning is ridiculously simple and obvious…but I’m guessing most people are not currently engaging in menu planning. All menu planning consists of is knowing yourself and budgeting time in your schedule to plan your weekly meals.

Are you up for the challenge of one week of menu planning?

What do you like to eat? What types of veggies get you jazzed? Or, if you’re like my friend Sione, and the thought of leafy greens gives you heart palpitations, then what types of cheeses excite you? Or breads? Or spreads? What cuisine do you most often crave? Mexican, Thai, or Mediterranean?

Next step, what’s on this week’s menu? You get complete creative control. I always go with a pasta evening (or two). I like to have a soup evening in the winter months. Sandwich night, salad night, cheese and crackers night? Hey, it’s your restaurant.

Make a list of everything you’ll need for each meal. Really think this one through because it’s a pain in the butt when you get home and you’ve forgotten the Swiss cheese for your tempeh Rueben. Now go shopping!

One last step to intentional eating (I just officially changed the name from menu planning to intentional eating...it sounds more zen) is to upgrade one or two purchases at the grocery store. My friend Sarah, who delights in grocery shopping and eating at home, taught me this trick. When you know that you’ll be making most of your meals, treat yourself to something fun -- a fancier brand of cheese or perhaps the expensive version of [fill in the blank]? Treat yourself to something that’s going to bring you joy when you’re putting away the groceries. This practice trains you to recognize joy in the small and simple. You’ll see!

Intentional eating is not for everyone, and it may be slightly symptomatic of a control freak personality, but if it sounds more appealing than appalling, give it a try. If it’s something you take to, it's guaranteed to save you boatloads of money and free up your funds for intentional dining experiences or whatever your pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment